Athens is a place where you can observe the essence of civilization present 3,000 years back. It is the birthplace of ancient scholars like Socrates, Sophocles and Pericles. Presently Athens is the place providing tourists the highlights of modern era enveloped with its ancient culture.
Tourists who love to visit and spend valuable time in the well-known archaeological sites should gain valid information from the website of Tripindicator to book accommodation and to know the best easy ways to travel in Athens and nearby touring locations.
Here are few places every visitor to Athens should visit:
- Acropolis: The place where you can know the ancient culture of Greek by viewing the Parthenon temple Doric columns standing erect for centuries. It is the birth place of the Goddess Athena. Thus, the place holds a great importance in the mythological literature of Greek as well. Ruins of Erechtheion, the ancient sanctuaries built in the 4th century are remarkable sight to behold. It is the right place to know the ancient culture of Greek people. The Porch of the Caryatids having the six statures of maidens in place of Doric columns depicting the amazing ancient culture of Greek.
- National archaeology museum: Antiquities collected of ancient Greek are worth watching and even thousands of other exhibits are in high esteem by archaeologists worldwide.
- Cape Sounion and the temple of Poseidon: If you like to know the civilization of Greek in the 5th century, visit the place where you have the breath-taking view of sunset.
- Byzantine museum: The place was home of Duchesse de Plaisance now nestles the most valuable collection of Byzantine art. You can view the religious artefacts in the displayed shelves of the museum. In the 19th century glittering mosaic and shining icons dominated the architecture of royal palaces. The most prominent of all are the remains of Christian basilicas and the replica of the fountain depicting the Monastery of Dafni. The mosaic floor of the 5th century museum makes the visitors awestruck.
- Agora: In Agora rests the most famous are the ruins of ancient civilization market site. The place was common place of commerce and administration as well. The famous seat of the Archon Basileus and the 18m long Royal Stoa are few of the most popular visiting sites near the capital city of Greek.
- Church of the holy Apostles: It was built in the 10th century, still standing strong above the nymphion or the sacred spring. It is the exact model of Byzantine architecture internally decorated with original frescos portraying Christ Pantocrator. John the Baptist and beautiful archangels. The well preserved monument depicts the love of Greek citizens for their ancient arts.
Tourists may face problems when they visit Athens for the first time if they aren’t aware of the best touring aspects of the Greek city. Thus, it is best to get advice to Athens hop on and off tours from well credited travel firms like Tripindicator. To know the best travel guiding tour providers visit the websites of Athens tourism.